Personal Letters


A| Definition

What is personal letter?

A personal letter is a type of letter that usually concerns personal matters and is sent from one individual to another. It is often handwritten and sent through the mail.

Surat pribadi adalah jenis surat yang biasanya menyangkut masalah pribadi dan dikirimkan dari satu orang ke orang lain. Ini sering ditulis tangan dan dikirim melalui pos.

- -

B| Social Function

A personal letter is to build and maintain interpersonal relation with family, relatives, and friends, such as: to express feelings, share the good news, apologize, and share the experience.

Surat pribadi adalah untuk membangun dan memelihara hubungan interpersonal dengan keluarga, kerabat, dan teman, seperti: untuk mengungkapkan perasaan, berbagi kabar baik, meminta maaf, dan berbagi pengalaman.

- -

C| Language Features

When you write personal letter, you use:

1| Simple present, this tense often uses in personal letter.

2| Simple past, if the information conveyed happened in the past.

3| Slang words is very informal words and phrases, ex: give a ring, piece of cake, etc.

4| Phrasal Verbs is made up of a verb and a particle or, sometimes, two particles, ex: call off, look after, etc.                    

- -

D| Generic Structure

There are 7 parts of personal letter, namely:

No

Parts

Explanations

1

Heading

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Date

 

 

Address

It is written in the upper right-hand corner of the page. The heading contains

The date when the sender writes the letter.

The address of the sender or the person writing the letter.  It can be omitted when the addressee knows the sender well and the sender’s address

 

Example:

Cianjur, 21th September 2020

 

Jalan Raya Sukabumi No. 16

Kec. Warungkondang, Kab. Cianjur

Kode Pos 43261 Jawa Barat, Indonesia

2

Salutation & Name

It is written in left hand corner. You can begin with the word:

Dear

Hi

Hello

Then, followed by first name of receiver and ended with comma.

 

Example:

Dear Shanum

Hi, Shaqiel

3

Introduction

You open with ask the condition.

 

Example:

It was great hearing from you. I hope you are doing well. I felt surprise when I received a present from you. I felt excited as well.

4

Body

You state your message in the body.

You can begin with sharing current and past personal news and telling your experience and tell your aim / reason of writing the letter.

 

Example:

Anyway, I just wanted to thank for the present you gave me for my birthday. The book is really good, and it influences me a lot. The story inspires me to do better in my life. I will show this book to my friends. I really missed our togetherness when we were in high school. We spent the time together doing our favorite activities: swimming, cycling and running.

5

Closure

You end the letter. You can end the letter with clear ending stating what you expect and your feeling.

 

Example:

I hope I can visit you in the next holiday. I can’t wait to meet you.

6

Complementary Close

Your closing can be written as follows:

Your friend,

Yours truly,

Yours lovingly,

With love,

It is followed by comma.

 

Example:

Your best friend,

7

Signature / Name of Sender

Signature

It refers to the sender’s first name and it is put after closing.

 

Example:

Ichsan

- -

F| Exercise

1| Identify this personal letter and answer the questions below!

Cianjur, 6th October 2020

 

Dear Yani,

How are you? Hope everything is okay with you. I’m all right here.

 

We are going to have the national examination, aren’t we? Are you well prepared for it? Well, to be honest, I just have some difficulties in preparing for it, especially in science. There are extra lessons in my school and I take them all. But, I feel that they don’t help. I’m still confused in solving mathematic problems. I’m just worried that I fail the national examination. Do you have any suggestion for me? I really appreciate your help.

 

I look forward to hearing from you.

 

Your buddy,

Fahim

 

Questions

1| Do you know what text is it?

2| What does the letter tell about?

3| Are the parts of the letter complete?

- -

2| Identify social function, language features and parts of this personal letter and answer the questions below!

Letter 1

Dear Aunt Nia,

Aunty, I have some good news for you. Last month I passed my final examination. A week ago I succeeded to join in a senior high school English competition. Last night my parents promised to send me to a famous English course in my town. They also promised me if my scores in English are good, they’ll send me to a foreign university. Great, isn’t it? I’ll work hard. I want to be a great pediatrician like you, Aunty.

 

Well, that’s all for now. Looking forward to having your news.

 

Love,

Dewi

 

Letter 2

Jl. Pasirhuni No. 10

Cintaasih Gekbrong

Cainjur

 

April 2, 2018

 

Dear Paula,

Hello Paula, how are you? It’s been a month since l last heard from you. Well l just wanted to tell you that I was in a hospital last week. According to the doctor l was infected by dengue fever.

 

At first, I felt my body became weak then fainted when was studying in the classroom. Then, I was taken to the hospital because of the high fever. At the hospital, I was brought into the emergency unit. The doctor immediately gave some treatments. Finally, l had to stay there for one week. Every day the doctor kept me on a drip. At the seventh day, my condition was getting better. After the final check, the doctor gave me permission to go home. Now, I’m okay and because of my illness, I am now more careful about keeping in my house clean especially my room, I don’t want to get the same illness again.

 

OK, think that’s all from me, write to me soon ok?

 

Regards

Nadira

 

Fill in this worksheet based on the personal letters above.

Letter

Social function

Language features

Parts

1

 

 

 

2

 

 

 

Popular posts from this blog

Fill Out A Form

Discussion Text